what I get up to with my paintbox, Bertie (my Cavalier King Charles), our motorhome and Perry's surfing.
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Day 6
Another day of rest. Caught up with the washing. I've also now sorted out my clothes, the filing and the charts. Lockers have been rearranged.... Anyway, had quite a lot of heavy showers, and a lot of very strong winds, so there was never really any chance of us going out today. Got in the next load of supplies via the most sad M & S I have ever used, it was like BHS in its death throws! As the weather was so bad today, we didn't do any adventure walking. Although the weather forecast is strong winds again for tomorrow, no rain is in the forecast, so we've decided to try and walk up to the castle. Still looks good for a Thursday depart, but this time it is likely to be about 7.30.
Yesterday we watched a boat wrestling with the wind and sea as he came into the harbour. We met up with him later - single handed! My goodness, that took guts yesterday!
Lucky we can exchange books in the Marina Office, I've just finished a John Grisham book. Amazing what you can read with the wind whistling in the rigging.....
Another day of rest. Caught up with the washing. I've also now sorted out my clothes, the filing and the charts. Lockers have been rearranged.... Anyway, had quite a lot of heavy showers, and a lot of very strong winds, so there was never really any chance of us going out today. Got in the next load of supplies via the most sad M & S I have ever used, it was like BHS in its death throws! As the weather was so bad today, we didn't do any adventure walking. Although the weather forecast is strong winds again for tomorrow, no rain is in the forecast, so we've decided to try and walk up to the castle. Still looks good for a Thursday depart, but this time it is likely to be about 7.30.
Yesterday we watched a boat wrestling with the wind and sea as he came into the harbour. We met up with him later - single handed! My goodness, that took guts yesterday!
Lucky we can exchange books in the Marina Office, I've just finished a John Grisham book. Amazing what you can read with the wind whistling in the rigging.....
Monday, 17 April 2017
Day 5
Much to Bertie's delight we made the decision not to sail on to Ramsgate today. The weather forecast was not too good, even though there was a small weather window in the afternoon which could have proved OK to move on. However, we decided that it would probably be a bit too risky as it would anyway be wind over tide, so lumpy sea! As it turned out, the wind did drop this afternoon, but is likely to pick up this evening and tomorrow! So what to do? First we tried the Royal Cinque Ports Yach Club, but it was closed. Then decided to walk past the ferry port and see how far up the cliffs we got. It was very very steep and we ended up in a National Trust area which looks after the White Cliffs. Gave them a quid to help them in the upkeep, and trudged on. All had aching feet by the time we decided to stop and turn round, but the views were pretty spectacular.
We popped in to the Royal Cinque Ports Yacht Club on the way back, but they would only let Bertie in if we sat outside - a bit cold for that!
As the weather is still not good for tomorrow, there is the very slight possibility that we may walk up to the castle...... if our feet can take it. I also have to get more supplies in as we seem to be eating our way around - as usual!
Much to Bertie's delight we made the decision not to sail on to Ramsgate today. The weather forecast was not too good, even though there was a small weather window in the afternoon which could have proved OK to move on. However, we decided that it would probably be a bit too risky as it would anyway be wind over tide, so lumpy sea! As it turned out, the wind did drop this afternoon, but is likely to pick up this evening and tomorrow! So what to do? First we tried the Royal Cinque Ports Yach Club, but it was closed. Then decided to walk past the ferry port and see how far up the cliffs we got. It was very very steep and we ended up in a National Trust area which looks after the White Cliffs. Gave them a quid to help them in the upkeep, and trudged on. All had aching feet by the time we decided to stop and turn round, but the views were pretty spectacular.
| The White Cliffs (or part of them!) |
| Turn around and there was a Norman Church |
| and a bit to the right Dover Castle, lovely |
As the weather is still not good for tomorrow, there is the very slight possibility that we may walk up to the castle...... if our feet can take it. I also have to get more supplies in as we seem to be eating our way around - as usual!
Sunday, 16 April 2017
.
Day 4
Following the weather forecast for today, we decided to have a day of rest. Forecast said F5 for this afternoon, and although the morning was still, low and behold the wind is here this afternoon. Very cold and overcast again. Bertie is happy as there is no sailing today. Dover is not the most exciting of places, or perhaps I missed something. Took a few photos and picked up some supplies
Day 4
| Dover castle |
| Lovely Georgian building |
| View of Castle |
| Think everyone may have seen this! |
Saturday, 15 April 2017
Day 3, Passage 3
Another overexciting day in our adventuring! Wanted to leave Eastbourne at 0830 only to discover there wasn't enough water the other side of the lock. Anyway finally went into the 0930 lock and unfortunately just after we locked out into a very narrow channel I managed to wallop Bertie on the head with a fender.....He was, as you would expect, totally stressed. Managed to start sailing away from Eastbourne at 1000, with the wind behind us. Most of the time we were managing 6 knots. It was a bit dull and overcast, so the only photo we managed to take was of Dungeness Power Station.
As we approached Dover, it all became a bit fraught. Although the sun came out, the waves got rather huge, and we were absolutely whizzing along. However, entrance into Dover therefore became rather more exciting than we really wanted. Had to get the main down before we whooshed into the harbour wall, then once inside the harbour it didn't appear to be obvious where the marina was. Eventually found it, got sorted and looked after. Managed to average 6 knots and the trip was 1 hour less than we had anticipated (thank goodness). We are now settled in and will be here tomorrow, because the forecast for Sunday is not too good. Better take Bertie out for a walk now as I really need to creep round him.
Another overexciting day in our adventuring! Wanted to leave Eastbourne at 0830 only to discover there wasn't enough water the other side of the lock. Anyway finally went into the 0930 lock and unfortunately just after we locked out into a very narrow channel I managed to wallop Bertie on the head with a fender.....He was, as you would expect, totally stressed. Managed to start sailing away from Eastbourne at 1000, with the wind behind us. Most of the time we were managing 6 knots. It was a bit dull and overcast, so the only photo we managed to take was of Dungeness Power Station.
| Dungeness power station |
| version 2 |
Friday, 14 April 2017
Day 2, passage 2
Well what a day! First thing we couldn't leave the marina because we were stuck in the mud! No warning from the marina that the visitors moorings had not been dredged. So we didn't leave at 8.30 as intended, but at 9.20. It was quite dramatic trying to get out of the mud, with probably limited water and the wind pushing us into the boat moored behind us. Unfortunately, we tapped it, but nothing dramatic. When we finally got out, there were problems putting the main up. Five of the cars which hold the main to the mast had come out. So that had to be sorted. Then there were problems with getting no signal from the GPS. Fortunately we have a second one, so we used that until we could get a proper signal Finally got underway proper, but we were an hour behind our schedule. Although it was sunny, not a terribly exciting trip
So we are now sitting in the marina, just about to check out the weather to decide if we are off tomorrow. Very sunny and warm, although we are now experiencing a rather cool fresh wind.
Forgot to say that yesterday a shackle came off the main sheet attachment to the traveller. Not just came off, but snapped in half! Fortunately, Perry had a spare. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Well what a day! First thing we couldn't leave the marina because we were stuck in the mud! No warning from the marina that the visitors moorings had not been dredged. So we didn't leave at 8.30 as intended, but at 9.20. It was quite dramatic trying to get out of the mud, with probably limited water and the wind pushing us into the boat moored behind us. Unfortunately, we tapped it, but nothing dramatic. When we finally got out, there were problems putting the main up. Five of the cars which hold the main to the mast had come out. So that had to be sorted. Then there were problems with getting no signal from the GPS. Fortunately we have a second one, so we used that until we could get a proper signal Finally got underway proper, but we were an hour behind our schedule. Although it was sunny, not a terribly exciting trip
| nice cliffs near Beachy Head |
| again just a bit further east of Beachy Head |
| looking back on Beachy Head before going in to Eastbourne |
So we are now sitting in the marina, just about to check out the weather to decide if we are off tomorrow. Very sunny and warm, although we are now experiencing a rather cool fresh wind.
Forgot to say that yesterday a shackle came off the main sheet attachment to the traveller. Not just came off, but snapped in half! Fortunately, Perry had a spare. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Thursday, 13 April 2017
Day 1 Passage 1
Just typed stuff in and managed to delete it, so here we go again. Here we are in Brighton Marina. Weather was dull and overcast, but at least not windy, so no pictures. Slammed into a couple of waves, which moved Bertie's bed. Spent a long time trying to settle him. Problems with handheld VHF which Perry is now going to go on the internet to sort out, and also check the weather. Looks as though it's probably on for Eastbourne (Sovereign Marina) tomorrow.
Just typed stuff in and managed to delete it, so here we go again. Here we are in Brighton Marina. Weather was dull and overcast, but at least not windy, so no pictures. Slammed into a couple of waves, which moved Bertie's bed. Spent a long time trying to settle him. Problems with handheld VHF which Perry is now going to go on the internet to sort out, and also check the weather. Looks as though it's probably on for Eastbourne (Sovereign Marina) tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)