Monday 13 May 2013

Before describing this event, I had better include the fact that I have had a slight accident.  On Tuesday morning I managed to fall down the  steps (well not all of the, just the last one) and damage my foot.  I was sure it wasn't broken, but it was pretty black and blue and has been absolute hell to walk on! And guess what, every venue, bar one, involved lots of walking!  The picture above is of Plouer sur Rance and I did it in M. Lemarchard's house.  For anyone interested, he is an ex Air France pilot and is 84 years old.  I have painted in his garden before, and we (sort of) correspond, when I get round to it (always at Christmas!).  He is a smashing chap, and brought me out a cup of tea (with milk) and biscuits.  Well, I did this picture in his garden looking toward the old presbytery (where M. Lemarchand was born).  It was a bit of a damp day, but I carried on.  Anyway, guess what - I won!  Hooray.  I got a bundle of goodies, including a huge pot plant, acrylic paints, T-shirt (for Perry), torch, bags, ... Following that, M. Lemarchard even wants to buy it.  Unfortunately, he will have to wait until after the final.  Following all the excitement, we jumped in the van, and tore of to Baden (Port Blanc) in the Morbihan - miles away.
We're now in the Morbhian and it's Golfe de Morbihan week - chaos everywhere.  I knew the competiton was going to be enormous, so decided to just have fun and experiment with some ideas I have been having - hence the rather wakky picture.  There were 150 entrants, about 16 in my watercolour group, and I got runner up.  I was pretty pleased.  (also had a packet of chips to help my bad foot along!).  Very sunny, but very windy. 
Next venue, just a few miles down the road at Larmor Baden.  Quite a sweet place, but a bit difficult to paint.  There was also another event going on (still part of Golfe de Morbihan week).  However, it was very, very cold, very windy and the odd shower, just for good measure.  I started off OK, then just got colder and colder, so I gave up. Fortunately I had my new thermal fingerless gloves on which I bought at Ryde bus station - lovely!). No placing - not surprised really!

It's Saturday, must be Etel and of course, it's raining! (Does it do anything else in Etel).  The mayor had arranged for the vans to park in the centre of town - how lucky is that - and this time sign on was not very far away.  Interesting place because it used to be a huge tuna fishing and processing port. After hobbling to sign on, not too far this time, I set up my stuff as usual, but it was so windy that I had to hold the easel down while working out what I was going to do.  Decided I could not spend too long on this one, so had fun with colours again and put in some tuna fishing boats.  Lost the easel a couple of times, but when I sat down to work I wrapped my legs round it to stop if flying away.  However, then my palette flew into the road, fortunately avoided by a motorist.  My wash dishes also took flight! It really was very sunny here, but oh that wind and it was cold again.  We decided to treat ourselves to mussels for lunch - yummy, followed by the most delicious desert I have ever had - coconut icecream, whipped cream, nuts and warm chocolate sauce - just the tickert.  Fell asleep in the afternoon.  No placing - try again next weekend. Foot still hurts and I'll decide what to do about that on Monday.



No comments: