Tuesday 21 May 2013

Saturday, 18th May St Jacut de la Mer.  I love this place.  We've visited it a number of times in the van, but this is the first time I've painted here. My foot is getting a little better, it is apparently not broken, but I am still hobbling everywhere.  Fortunately Perry found a good place to park the van, so I didn't have far to walk.  It was very cold, windy and overcast when I started. (What's new!).  The tide was out, and I am sure we could have walked to the Isle of Wight, there just didn't appear to be any water anywhere.  I was quite happy with the sky, but could have done better with the rest.  By the time I had finished the sun was out, but  it was still cold and the sea was just coming around the harbour wall. In sheltered areas it was really quite warm.

Yep, this is me dressed up for the summer weather! Gloves, hat and thick woolies. Sunglasses, because I have a problem with glare.
And here are the boys.... Joel Desert took this, he takes all the Couleurs de Bretagne piccies and he was really pleased with this one of Bertie - posing for his photo! They were sitting in one of the sunnier spots - obviously not near me, where I was struggling with the elements to produce a masterpiece!
Sunday 19th May - Erquy.  Another place we have visited often in the van, but never painted. The weather was absolutely diabolical.  Wind, rain, cold..... I started outside for the first 2 hours, but had to give up and go inside where there were loads of other painters seeking shelter.   I had another go at a very loose wash.  I was quite pleased with the background wash and the lighthouse, but should have thought a bit harder about the line of Hobycats which were all lined up in front of me when I started, waiting for a day's sailing!  However, I did manage to get runner up, so not all bad. I quite like experiment, will do some more.

Monday 20th May - Loguivy-Plougras. Never been here before.  It rained all night!  Again incredibly cold and windy.  Even with my lovely insulated gloves that I bought in Ryde, my fingers were turning blue (why am I doing this painting outside?).  There were two very short visits by the sun and I quickly noted the effect. Everything seemed to brighten up, but then it went back to being grey and miserable. Experimented with the some negative spaces - appeared to work. Very long rainy journey back and when we got home the house was cold so we had to put on the heating, turn on electric blanker and fill the hot water bottle.  Summer can't be very far away now - surely? 




No comments: